Presentation by Roger Annis in Vancouver, Canada on Sept 29, 2014
On September 29, 2014, The Institute for the Humanities at Simon Fraser University hosted a talk by Roger Annis on the war in eastern Ukraine and the accompanying political and military threats by NATO and the Kyiv government against Russia. Roger Annis is a Vancouver-based writer and antiwar activist who has written extensively on Ukraine. He attended the antiwar conference held in Yalta, Crimea on July 6, 7, 2014. (Introduction continues below).
The themes covered in the one-hour talk included:
– The origin of the war—the pro-austerity and pro-NATO turn of Ukraine’s oligarchs, and NATO’s historic animosity to Russia
– The Maidan movement and the ascendance of right-wing nationalism in Ukraine
– Resistance of the Ukraine and Russian peoples to war and austerity
– The myth of ‘Russian imperialism’
– Solutions: Solidarity and working class unity for Ukraine. For a federated and democratic Ukraine.