By Roger Annis, March 24, 2015
There is a great deal of information and analysis published recently on The New Cold War: Ukraine and beyond concerning the ongoing crisis in Ukraine and the NATO threats to Russia and military buildup in eastern Europe. Below is a selection of key articles on these subjects posted to the website in recent days.
For regular, daily news of Ukraine, you can subscribe to the e-mail digest of all the news articles, analysis and video materials posted each day to the website. You receive notice of all the day’s articles in one single e-mail.
* * *
Prospects for Ukraine ceasefire
Two articles analyze why the ceasefire agreement for eastern Ukraine that was reached on Feb. 11/12, 2015 in Minsk, Belarus is unlikely to hold. The commitment by the governing regime in Kyiv is simply not there, including as shown by its refusal to implement a key part of the Minsk agreement—negotiations to achieve forms of political autonomy for the rebel region.
* Ukraine’s poison pill for peace talks, by Robert Parry, Consortium News, March 19, 2015
* Minsk peace deal for Ukraine is falling apart, by Alexander Mercouris, Russia Insider, March 19, 2015
* Unions in Luhansk rally against war, demand end to Ukraine economic blockade, New Cold War.org, March 23, 2015
NATO training and weapons
For their part, NATO countries are proceeding with plans to increase training of Ukraine’s army and extreme-right militias. Decisions to equip the Ukrainian regime with more deadly weaponry are inevitable if a stronger antiwar movement does not develop in Europe and North America.
* U.S. and UK proceed with military training in Ukraine, by New Cold War.org, March 19, 2015
Next tranche of IMF loan to Ukraine approved
* Ukraine: IMF package foreshadows a permanent ‘winter’, by Michael Roberts, March 17, 2015
Democracy in Ukraine?
One of the ‘no go’ zones of mainstream news reporting in Western countries is the issue of political rights and freedoms in Ukraine. They are under sharp attack on all fronts, including in the most formal of political settings—the Verkhovna Rada (Ukrainian Parliament).
* The victory of national democracy in Ukraine and the crushing of political opposition, by Halyna Mokrushyna, New Cold War.org, March 19, 2015.
Sanctions against Russia
Most countries of the European Union, including Germany, have left no doubt where they stand in this conflict—they recently voted to continue economic sanctions against Russia.
* European Union countries vote to continue sanctions against Russia, news compilation on New Cold War.org, March 20, 2015
A ‘Christian Taliban’ in the making in Ukraine
The Intercept web publication, co-founded by journalist Glenn Greenwald, has published a three-part article series examining the political right in Ukraine and its close ties with the Ukraine government and armed forces. Find all three articles here:
* The making of a Christian Taliban in Ukraine, The Intercept, part three of three
Continued propaganda by NATO countries over Crimea
A news summary article describes the astonishing results of a string of opinion surveys and news reports in Crimea showing continued strong support for the vote oine year ago to secede from Ukraine and join the Russian Federation.
* One year anniversary of the Crimean Spring, by New Cold War.org, March 19, 2015
Public forum in London UK speaks out against NATO’s war drive in Ukraine
* Report on New Cold War.org, March 23, 2015